Multiseat on Ubuntu 18.04?Login multi userMultiseat login issueNo app sound in 18.04 , system sound OK, speaker test OK. Firefox NOK, VLC NOKASUS laptop - wifi not connecting after upgrading to 18.04boot very slowly after upgrade ubuntu 18.04

Why does UNIX ed not have a prompt by default

Can two moons have intersecting orbits yet be guaranteed not to collide?

Is there such a thing as Fsus♯4?

How do professors and lecturers learn to teach?

What is the difference between scissors and shears?

Prefix all commands in shell

Is it academically dishonest to submit the same project to two different classes in the same semester?

Intersection of sorted lists

Is it safe to drive from Prague to Salzburg during winter?

Did the Mueller report find that Trump committed any felonies?

Accidentally likened superior to assailant

What does 36.000€ mean?

Is a midspace space station between Earth and Mars practical?

Thoughts on using user stories to define business/platform needs?

Why are green parties so often opposed to nuclear power?

Template not provided using create-react-app

Why try to impeach Trump now?

Typing "PartOf" in excel changes automatically to part of?

Professor Pun's Personal Project

What is the logic for the map maker classifying the map this way, specifically in Canada?

Does the "stand your ground" law regarding shooting an intruder apply when the door of the dwelling was not locked?

Is the use of ellipsis "..." dismissive or rude?

What should be done when the theory behind a PhD thesis turns out to be wrong?

Unpaid suspension due to management error



Multiseat on Ubuntu 18.04?


Login multi userMultiseat login issueNo app sound in 18.04 , system sound OK, speaker test OK. Firefox NOK, VLC NOKASUS laptop - wifi not connecting after upgrading to 18.04boot very slowly after upgrade ubuntu 18.04






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty
margin-bottom:0;









6


















I've been reading (old) guides all day and I still know nothing about multiseat on Ubuntu 18.04.
To make matters worse, I only have one graphics card with multiple outputs.



The only thing that gives me hope is loginctl list-seats which indicates that my Ubuntu knows about seats.



How can I set up my machine in multiseat?



Edit: output of loginctl commands.



Please note that not everything is connected. I want to first figure out how to get about it, not just plunge in. I figure each seat will have its own USB hub (HID devices + whatever else needed) + one of the displays.



loginctl list-seats
SEAT
seat0

1 seats listed.

loginctl seat-status seat0

seat0
Sessions: *c1
Devices:
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
│ input:input1 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
│ input:input0 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1
│ usb:usb1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input11
│ │ input:input11 "iMON USB Touchscreen (15c2:0034)"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input2
│ │ input:input2 "iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:0034)"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/rc/rc0/input3
│ input:input3 "iMON Remote (15c2:0034)"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb2
│ usb:usb2
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0
│ [MASTER] drm:card0
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-2
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-2
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-3
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-3
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DVI-D-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DVI-D-1
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1
│ [MASTER] drm:card0-HDMI-A-1
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/renderD128
│ drm:renderD128
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0
│ sound:card0 "NVidia"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input12
│ │ input:input12 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input13
│ │ input:input13 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input14
│ │ input:input14 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input15
│ input:input15 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb3
│ usb:usb3
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb4
│ usb:usb4
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1
│ sound:card1 "Generic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input10
│ │ input:input10 "HD-Audio Generic Front Headphone"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input4
│ │ input:input4 "HD-Audio Generic Front Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input5
│ │ input:input5 "HD-Audio Generic Rear Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input6
│ │ input:input6 "HD-Audio Generic Line"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input7
│ │ input:input7 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Front"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input8
│ │ input:input8 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Surround"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input9
│ input:input9 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out CLFE"
└─/sys/devices/virtual/misc/rfkill
misc:rfkill









share|improve this question



























  • see wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatTeam/Instructions

    – damadam
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Please add results of loginctl seat-status and add it to the question. You need to find the master in the result ;-)

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Guide for this: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/936873/linux/… I used this with 16.04 to create a multiseat. Should still work.

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:38

















6


















I've been reading (old) guides all day and I still know nothing about multiseat on Ubuntu 18.04.
To make matters worse, I only have one graphics card with multiple outputs.



The only thing that gives me hope is loginctl list-seats which indicates that my Ubuntu knows about seats.



How can I set up my machine in multiseat?



Edit: output of loginctl commands.



Please note that not everything is connected. I want to first figure out how to get about it, not just plunge in. I figure each seat will have its own USB hub (HID devices + whatever else needed) + one of the displays.



loginctl list-seats
SEAT
seat0

1 seats listed.

loginctl seat-status seat0

seat0
Sessions: *c1
Devices:
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
│ input:input1 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
│ input:input0 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1
│ usb:usb1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input11
│ │ input:input11 "iMON USB Touchscreen (15c2:0034)"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input2
│ │ input:input2 "iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:0034)"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/rc/rc0/input3
│ input:input3 "iMON Remote (15c2:0034)"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb2
│ usb:usb2
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0
│ [MASTER] drm:card0
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-2
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-2
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-3
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-3
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DVI-D-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DVI-D-1
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1
│ [MASTER] drm:card0-HDMI-A-1
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/renderD128
│ drm:renderD128
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0
│ sound:card0 "NVidia"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input12
│ │ input:input12 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input13
│ │ input:input13 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input14
│ │ input:input14 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input15
│ input:input15 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb3
│ usb:usb3
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb4
│ usb:usb4
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1
│ sound:card1 "Generic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input10
│ │ input:input10 "HD-Audio Generic Front Headphone"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input4
│ │ input:input4 "HD-Audio Generic Front Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input5
│ │ input:input5 "HD-Audio Generic Rear Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input6
│ │ input:input6 "HD-Audio Generic Line"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input7
│ │ input:input7 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Front"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input8
│ │ input:input8 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Surround"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input9
│ input:input9 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out CLFE"
└─/sys/devices/virtual/misc/rfkill
misc:rfkill









share|improve this question



























  • see wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatTeam/Instructions

    – damadam
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Please add results of loginctl seat-status and add it to the question. You need to find the master in the result ;-)

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Guide for this: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/936873/linux/… I used this with 16.04 to create a multiseat. Should still work.

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:38













6













6









6








I've been reading (old) guides all day and I still know nothing about multiseat on Ubuntu 18.04.
To make matters worse, I only have one graphics card with multiple outputs.



The only thing that gives me hope is loginctl list-seats which indicates that my Ubuntu knows about seats.



How can I set up my machine in multiseat?



Edit: output of loginctl commands.



Please note that not everything is connected. I want to first figure out how to get about it, not just plunge in. I figure each seat will have its own USB hub (HID devices + whatever else needed) + one of the displays.



loginctl list-seats
SEAT
seat0

1 seats listed.

loginctl seat-status seat0

seat0
Sessions: *c1
Devices:
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
│ input:input1 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
│ input:input0 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1
│ usb:usb1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input11
│ │ input:input11 "iMON USB Touchscreen (15c2:0034)"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input2
│ │ input:input2 "iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:0034)"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/rc/rc0/input3
│ input:input3 "iMON Remote (15c2:0034)"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb2
│ usb:usb2
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0
│ [MASTER] drm:card0
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-2
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-2
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-3
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-3
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DVI-D-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DVI-D-1
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1
│ [MASTER] drm:card0-HDMI-A-1
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/renderD128
│ drm:renderD128
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0
│ sound:card0 "NVidia"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input12
│ │ input:input12 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input13
│ │ input:input13 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input14
│ │ input:input14 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input15
│ input:input15 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb3
│ usb:usb3
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb4
│ usb:usb4
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1
│ sound:card1 "Generic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input10
│ │ input:input10 "HD-Audio Generic Front Headphone"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input4
│ │ input:input4 "HD-Audio Generic Front Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input5
│ │ input:input5 "HD-Audio Generic Rear Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input6
│ │ input:input6 "HD-Audio Generic Line"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input7
│ │ input:input7 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Front"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input8
│ │ input:input8 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Surround"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input9
│ input:input9 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out CLFE"
└─/sys/devices/virtual/misc/rfkill
misc:rfkill









share|improve this question
















I've been reading (old) guides all day and I still know nothing about multiseat on Ubuntu 18.04.
To make matters worse, I only have one graphics card with multiple outputs.



The only thing that gives me hope is loginctl list-seats which indicates that my Ubuntu knows about seats.



How can I set up my machine in multiseat?



Edit: output of loginctl commands.



Please note that not everything is connected. I want to first figure out how to get about it, not just plunge in. I figure each seat will have its own USB hub (HID devices + whatever else needed) + one of the displays.



loginctl list-seats
SEAT
seat0

1 seats listed.

loginctl seat-status seat0

seat0
Sessions: *c1
Devices:
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1
│ input:input1 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0
│ input:input0 "Power Button"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1
│ usb:usb1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input11
│ │ input:input11 "iMON USB Touchscreen (15c2:0034)"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/input/input2
│ │ input:input2 "iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:0034)"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb1/1-12/1-12:1.0/rc/rc0/input3
│ input:input3 "iMON Remote (15c2:0034)"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.3/0000:03:00.0/usb2
│ usb:usb2
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0
│ [MASTER] drm:card0
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-1
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-2
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-2
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DP-3
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DP-3
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-DVI-D-1
│ │ [MASTER] drm:card0-DVI-D-1
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1
│ [MASTER] drm:card0-HDMI-A-1
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.0/drm/renderD128
│ drm:renderD128
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0
│ sound:card0 "NVidia"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input12
│ │ input:input12 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input13
│ │ input:input13 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input14
│ │ input:input14 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=8"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:26:00.1/sound/card0/input15
│ input:input15 "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=9"
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb3
│ usb:usb3
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.1/0000:27:00.3/usb4
│ usb:usb4
├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1
│ sound:card1 "Generic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input10
│ │ input:input10 "HD-Audio Generic Front Headphone"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input4
│ │ input:input4 "HD-Audio Generic Front Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input5
│ │ input:input5 "HD-Audio Generic Rear Mic"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input6
│ │ input:input6 "HD-Audio Generic Line"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input7
│ │ input:input7 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Front"
│ ├─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input8
│ │ input:input8 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out Surround"
│ └─/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:28:00.3/sound/card1/input9
│ input:input9 "HD-Audio Generic Line Out CLFE"
└─/sys/devices/virtual/misc/rfkill
misc:rfkill






18.04 multiseat






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Aug 19 '18 at 4:35









Scorch

1431 gold badge2 silver badges11 bronze badges




1431 gold badge2 silver badges11 bronze badges










asked Jul 12 '18 at 14:26









velisvelis

2973 silver badges15 bronze badges




2973 silver badges15 bronze badges















  • see wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatTeam/Instructions

    – damadam
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Please add results of loginctl seat-status and add it to the question. You need to find the master in the result ;-)

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Guide for this: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/936873/linux/… I used this with 16.04 to create a multiseat. Should still work.

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:38

















  • see wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatTeam/Instructions

    – damadam
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Please add results of loginctl seat-status and add it to the question. You need to find the master in the result ;-)

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:32











  • Guide for this: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/936873/linux/… I used this with 16.04 to create a multiseat. Should still work.

    – Rinzwind
    Jul 12 '18 at 14:38
















see wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatTeam/Instructions

– damadam
Jul 12 '18 at 14:32





see wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiseatTeam/Instructions

– damadam
Jul 12 '18 at 14:32













Please add results of loginctl seat-status and add it to the question. You need to find the master in the result ;-)

– Rinzwind
Jul 12 '18 at 14:32





Please add results of loginctl seat-status and add it to the question. You need to find the master in the result ;-)

– Rinzwind
Jul 12 '18 at 14:32













Guide for this: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/936873/linux/… I used this with 16.04 to create a multiseat. Should still work.

– Rinzwind
Jul 12 '18 at 14:38





Guide for this: devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/936873/linux/… I used this with 16.04 to create a multiseat. Should still work.

– Rinzwind
Jul 12 '18 at 14:38










2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















5



















Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.



Setting up a second seat (assuming you had a second video card) would be no more simple than issuing the command:



"loginctl attach seat1 __________________"



Once you reboot, you should have two login screens. All other configuration is generally incidental after that.



Does your motherboard support a second full-length PCI-E graphics slot? If it does not, that is not an automatic disqualifier. You can also use one of those PCI-E 1x risers that the bitcoin crowd are fond of using to add a 16x slot to your machine. Not saying you should, I'm just saying you could.






share|improve this answer

























  • Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

    – velis
    Aug 19 '18 at 4:37











  • @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

    – Muhammad bin Yusrat
    May 31 at 5:20











  • No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

    – velis
    May 31 at 7:00











  • Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

    – velis
    May 31 at 7:03



















1



















I agree with @ezst036 regarding this:




Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.




However, even in this "easy scenario", I stumbled upon some issues regarding the interactions between gdm, snap and the logind component. For starters, if you have a 16.04 and do a loginctl seat-status you will be given the information regarding your seat, but if you try that in 18.04 an error will be thrown:



Could not get properties: Caller does not belong to any known session


I don't know if that issue is relevant or not.



In order to achieve a functional multiseat configuration in Ubuntu vanilla you can do the following:



  • Install lightdm: By doing sudo apt install lightdm and then be sure to check lightdm as the default login screen in the prompt that will appear.

  • Configure the following in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/multiseat.conf (you should create this file, name it as you wish).

[LightDM]
logind-load-seats=true


  • Properly assign the devices to the seat by doing loginctl attach seat-1 <device>

Then you will be able to reboot and everything should fall in place.



There is no need to configure anything in /etc/X11, the previous configuration will automagically set up all the devices properly.



DISCLAIMER: I have two Radeon RX 5700, and I am using the official driver 19.30 from the AMD website. I am not sure if my configuration will work as-is in other setups. YMMV.






share|improve this answer


























    Your Answer








    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "89"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader:
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/"u003ecc by-sa 4.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    ,
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );














    draft saved

    draft discarded
















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1054541%2fmultiseat-on-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest















    Required, but never shown


























    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes








    2 Answers
    2






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes









    5



















    Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.



    Setting up a second seat (assuming you had a second video card) would be no more simple than issuing the command:



    "loginctl attach seat1 __________________"



    Once you reboot, you should have two login screens. All other configuration is generally incidental after that.



    Does your motherboard support a second full-length PCI-E graphics slot? If it does not, that is not an automatic disqualifier. You can also use one of those PCI-E 1x risers that the bitcoin crowd are fond of using to add a 16x slot to your machine. Not saying you should, I'm just saying you could.






    share|improve this answer

























    • Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

      – velis
      Aug 19 '18 at 4:37











    • @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

      – Muhammad bin Yusrat
      May 31 at 5:20











    • No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:00











    • Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:03
















    5



















    Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.



    Setting up a second seat (assuming you had a second video card) would be no more simple than issuing the command:



    "loginctl attach seat1 __________________"



    Once you reboot, you should have two login screens. All other configuration is generally incidental after that.



    Does your motherboard support a second full-length PCI-E graphics slot? If it does not, that is not an automatic disqualifier. You can also use one of those PCI-E 1x risers that the bitcoin crowd are fond of using to add a 16x slot to your machine. Not saying you should, I'm just saying you could.






    share|improve this answer

























    • Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

      – velis
      Aug 19 '18 at 4:37











    • @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

      – Muhammad bin Yusrat
      May 31 at 5:20











    • No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:00











    • Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:03














    5















    5











    5









    Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.



    Setting up a second seat (assuming you had a second video card) would be no more simple than issuing the command:



    "loginctl attach seat1 __________________"



    Once you reboot, you should have two login screens. All other configuration is generally incidental after that.



    Does your motherboard support a second full-length PCI-E graphics slot? If it does not, that is not an automatic disqualifier. You can also use one of those PCI-E 1x risers that the bitcoin crowd are fond of using to add a 16x slot to your machine. Not saying you should, I'm just saying you could.






    share|improve this answer














    Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.



    Setting up a second seat (assuming you had a second video card) would be no more simple than issuing the command:



    "loginctl attach seat1 __________________"



    Once you reboot, you should have two login screens. All other configuration is generally incidental after that.



    Does your motherboard support a second full-length PCI-E graphics slot? If it does not, that is not an automatic disqualifier. You can also use one of those PCI-E 1x risers that the bitcoin crowd are fond of using to add a 16x slot to your machine. Not saying you should, I'm just saying you could.







    share|improve this answer













    share|improve this answer




    share|improve this answer










    answered Aug 19 '18 at 3:23









    ezst036ezst036

    766 bronze badges




    766 bronze badges















    • Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

      – velis
      Aug 19 '18 at 4:37











    • @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

      – Muhammad bin Yusrat
      May 31 at 5:20











    • No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:00











    • Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:03


















    • Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

      – velis
      Aug 19 '18 at 4:37











    • @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

      – Muhammad bin Yusrat
      May 31 at 5:20











    • No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:00











    • Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

      – velis
      May 31 at 7:03

















    Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

    – velis
    Aug 19 '18 at 4:37





    Well, I specifically looked for a card with multiple outputs. While my MB supports inserting other cards, I really don't want to. OTOH the card's outputs are nicely enumerated in the HW list. I will try with that first, thanks.

    – velis
    Aug 19 '18 at 4:37













    @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

    – Muhammad bin Yusrat
    May 31 at 5:20





    @velis were you able to find a solution to this? It seems no one ever wants a multi seat setup with Ubuntu any more..

    – Muhammad bin Yusrat
    May 31 at 5:20













    No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

    – velis
    May 31 at 7:00





    No. Gave up. Now I'm just running VMs and connecting to them remotely using cheap zero clients. WAY sub-optimal, but at least it works, especially with Windows guests (RDP). Unfortunately, for linux guests I am yet to find a truly zero-lag protocol.

    – velis
    May 31 at 7:00













    Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

    – velis
    May 31 at 7:03






    Just to clarify further: even though you can loginctl a single output on a graphics card, the command actually assigns the entire card to that seat then. There is no granularity. At least this is so with gdm3, if it is at all a display manager that actually handles the assignment. Never tried with any other display managers.

    – velis
    May 31 at 7:03














    1



















    I agree with @ezst036 regarding this:




    Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.




    However, even in this "easy scenario", I stumbled upon some issues regarding the interactions between gdm, snap and the logind component. For starters, if you have a 16.04 and do a loginctl seat-status you will be given the information regarding your seat, but if you try that in 18.04 an error will be thrown:



    Could not get properties: Caller does not belong to any known session


    I don't know if that issue is relevant or not.



    In order to achieve a functional multiseat configuration in Ubuntu vanilla you can do the following:



    • Install lightdm: By doing sudo apt install lightdm and then be sure to check lightdm as the default login screen in the prompt that will appear.

    • Configure the following in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/multiseat.conf (you should create this file, name it as you wish).

    [LightDM]
    logind-load-seats=true


    • Properly assign the devices to the seat by doing loginctl attach seat-1 <device>

    Then you will be able to reboot and everything should fall in place.



    There is no need to configure anything in /etc/X11, the previous configuration will automagically set up all the devices properly.



    DISCLAIMER: I have two Radeon RX 5700, and I am using the official driver 19.30 from the AMD website. I am not sure if my configuration will work as-is in other setups. YMMV.






    share|improve this answer





























      1



















      I agree with @ezst036 regarding this:




      Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.




      However, even in this "easy scenario", I stumbled upon some issues regarding the interactions between gdm, snap and the logind component. For starters, if you have a 16.04 and do a loginctl seat-status you will be given the information regarding your seat, but if you try that in 18.04 an error will be thrown:



      Could not get properties: Caller does not belong to any known session


      I don't know if that issue is relevant or not.



      In order to achieve a functional multiseat configuration in Ubuntu vanilla you can do the following:



      • Install lightdm: By doing sudo apt install lightdm and then be sure to check lightdm as the default login screen in the prompt that will appear.

      • Configure the following in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/multiseat.conf (you should create this file, name it as you wish).

      [LightDM]
      logind-load-seats=true


      • Properly assign the devices to the seat by doing loginctl attach seat-1 <device>

      Then you will be able to reboot and everything should fall in place.



      There is no need to configure anything in /etc/X11, the previous configuration will automagically set up all the devices properly.



      DISCLAIMER: I have two Radeon RX 5700, and I am using the official driver 19.30 from the AMD website. I am not sure if my configuration will work as-is in other setups. YMMV.






      share|improve this answer



























        1















        1











        1









        I agree with @ezst036 regarding this:




        Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.




        However, even in this "easy scenario", I stumbled upon some issues regarding the interactions between gdm, snap and the logind component. For starters, if you have a 16.04 and do a loginctl seat-status you will be given the information regarding your seat, but if you try that in 18.04 an error will be thrown:



        Could not get properties: Caller does not belong to any known session


        I don't know if that issue is relevant or not.



        In order to achieve a functional multiseat configuration in Ubuntu vanilla you can do the following:



        • Install lightdm: By doing sudo apt install lightdm and then be sure to check lightdm as the default login screen in the prompt that will appear.

        • Configure the following in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/multiseat.conf (you should create this file, name it as you wish).

        [LightDM]
        logind-load-seats=true


        • Properly assign the devices to the seat by doing loginctl attach seat-1 <device>

        Then you will be able to reboot and everything should fall in place.



        There is no need to configure anything in /etc/X11, the previous configuration will automagically set up all the devices properly.



        DISCLAIMER: I have two Radeon RX 5700, and I am using the official driver 19.30 from the AMD website. I am not sure if my configuration will work as-is in other setups. YMMV.






        share|improve this answer














        I agree with @ezst036 regarding this:




        Multiple video cards is by far the easy way to set up multiseat. It allows you to avoid the mess of Xephyr and any other additional configuration.




        However, even in this "easy scenario", I stumbled upon some issues regarding the interactions between gdm, snap and the logind component. For starters, if you have a 16.04 and do a loginctl seat-status you will be given the information regarding your seat, but if you try that in 18.04 an error will be thrown:



        Could not get properties: Caller does not belong to any known session


        I don't know if that issue is relevant or not.



        In order to achieve a functional multiseat configuration in Ubuntu vanilla you can do the following:



        • Install lightdm: By doing sudo apt install lightdm and then be sure to check lightdm as the default login screen in the prompt that will appear.

        • Configure the following in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/multiseat.conf (you should create this file, name it as you wish).

        [LightDM]
        logind-load-seats=true


        • Properly assign the devices to the seat by doing loginctl attach seat-1 <device>

        Then you will be able to reboot and everything should fall in place.



        There is no need to configure anything in /etc/X11, the previous configuration will automagically set up all the devices properly.



        DISCLAIMER: I have two Radeon RX 5700, and I am using the official driver 19.30 from the AMD website. I am not sure if my configuration will work as-is in other setups. YMMV.







        share|improve this answer













        share|improve this answer




        share|improve this answer










        answered Sep 28 at 12:12









        MariusSiuramMariusSiuram

        1435 bronze badges




        1435 bronze badges































            draft saved

            draft discarded















































            Thanks for contributing an answer to Ask Ubuntu!


            • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

            But avoid


            • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

            • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

            To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1054541%2fmultiseat-on-ubuntu-18-04%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown





















































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown

































            Required, but never shown














            Required, but never shown












            Required, but never shown







            Required, but never shown









            Popular posts from this blog

            xrandr — how to find the correct RGB full spectrum output command for my systemHow to get second display to work alongside primary display?Unable to change the refresh rate to 60hz with xrandrUbuntu 16.04 external monitors black screen “Could not set the configuration for CRTC”Ubuntu 18.04 Monitor not recognizedXubuntu 18.04 does not detect external monitors connected via USB-C hubLaptop running Ubuntu 18.04 and Nvidia GPU does not detect HDMI display

            Distance measures on a map of a game The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are Inmin distance in a graphShortest distance path on contour plotHow to plot a tilted map?Finding points outside of a diskDelaunay link distanceAnnulus from GeoDisks: drawing a ring on a mapNegative Correlation DistanceFind distance along a path (GPS coordinates)Finding position at given distance in a GeoPathMathematics behind distance estimation using camera

            How to get a smooth, uniform ParametricPlot of a 2D Region?How to plot a complicated Region?How to exclude a region from ParametricPlotHow discretize a region placing vertices on a specific non-uniform gridHow to transform a Plot or a ParametricPlot into a RegionHow can I get a smooth plot of a bounded region?Smooth ParametricPlot3D with RegionFunction?Smooth border of a region ParametricPlotSmooth region boundarySmooth region plot from list of pointsGet minimum y of a certain x in a region