What did the controller say during my approach to land (audio clip)?What are the pilot responsibilities for “maintain visual separation” clearances?What do the levels stand for in French Air Traffic Service Levels?What is the correct traffic pattern at a towered airport?What separation and information does ATC provide in different airspace classes?What happens if I cross the ADIZ line without a flight plan and no clearance or contact with ATC?Can an issued landing clearance be replaced with “continue approach”?Heard on LiveATC that ATC wants to “cancel” something. What did the ATC mean by that?What did this ATC call mean?

Plane ticket price went down by 40% two weeks after I booked it. Is there anything I can do to get a refund?

What is the rationale for single engine military aircraft?

truck makes a tapping/knocking sound only happen the first start of the day and stops after truck is warm

Puzzling is a Forte of Mine

Why can't sonic booms be heard at air shows?

What mathematics activities get students physically moving?

How do you call a note, that stays through the whole song?

Does a Paladin with the Divine Health feature destroy a Green Slime?

Are trigonometry functions Ratios or Distance?

Can Teflon thread tape be reused?

Sue newspaper or the reporter for libel?

Journal editor made bad edits to my (accepted) paper - how do I respond?

How to apply ifthenelse check on list member accessed via macro?

My advisor wants me to make my PhD thesis weaker

Can I call the airport to see if my boyfriend made it through customs?

How to delete my name and initials from the title bar of Microsoft Word

Is there a theory challenging the "strict" distinction between Thai and Vietnamese?

Why do laptop batteries have so many terminals?

Was Locomotive BASIC significantly better than Sinclair BASIC?

Dynamically getting the complex number in a color wheel via moving mouse?

Should a list of typos go in thesis defense presentation

Rip secret door, showing no trace of edges, into shade smooth sphere

Banking system in C++

Scientific Illustration: Non-photorealistic rendering of sparse wireframe with dashed/dotted lines for backfacing areas - Blender 2.80



What did the controller say during my approach to land (audio clip)?


What are the pilot responsibilities for “maintain visual separation” clearances?What do the levels stand for in French Air Traffic Service Levels?What is the correct traffic pattern at a towered airport?What separation and information does ATC provide in different airspace classes?What happens if I cross the ADIZ line without a flight plan and no clearance or contact with ATC?Can an issued landing clearance be replaced with “continue approach”?Heard on LiveATC that ATC wants to “cancel” something. What did the ATC mean by that?What did this ATC call mean?






.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty
margin-bottom:0;









33















$begingroup$


I recorded this ATC audio clip during a recent flight.



I'm not sure but he may be saying,




6CP, cancel lining clearance......(missing)....traffic will be in position.




Can you complete this transcript? And I don't understand what "cancel lining clearance" is...










share|improve this question











$endgroup$










  • 16




    $begingroup$
    Nice question! I think this type of questions are really good to help people understand ATC instructions better in non-standard situations. Can you please keep the recording accessible for the public f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ / forever?
    $endgroup$
    – DeltaLima
    Sep 16 at 8:56







  • 11




    $begingroup$
    obligatory "Please hurry with an answer, I am running out of fuel" joke... ;-)
    $endgroup$
    – Michael
    Sep 17 at 17:38






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    Wow that's horrible. I couldn't make any of it out and I've been listening to ATC for some time.
    $endgroup$
    – Joshua
    Sep 18 at 3:31






  • 10




    $begingroup$
    You need to ask ATC to repeat. Otherwise you might not have the opportunity to find out later. Especially if you are approach.
    $endgroup$
    – copper.hat
    Sep 18 at 14:09






  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @Joshua same. I'm just a casual visitor but I couldn't understand a single word (native English speaker).
    $endgroup$
    – Tom W
    Sep 19 at 7:41


















33















$begingroup$


I recorded this ATC audio clip during a recent flight.



I'm not sure but he may be saying,




6CP, cancel lining clearance......(missing)....traffic will be in position.




Can you complete this transcript? And I don't understand what "cancel lining clearance" is...










share|improve this question











$endgroup$










  • 16




    $begingroup$
    Nice question! I think this type of questions are really good to help people understand ATC instructions better in non-standard situations. Can you please keep the recording accessible for the public f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ / forever?
    $endgroup$
    – DeltaLima
    Sep 16 at 8:56







  • 11




    $begingroup$
    obligatory "Please hurry with an answer, I am running out of fuel" joke... ;-)
    $endgroup$
    – Michael
    Sep 17 at 17:38






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    Wow that's horrible. I couldn't make any of it out and I've been listening to ATC for some time.
    $endgroup$
    – Joshua
    Sep 18 at 3:31






  • 10




    $begingroup$
    You need to ask ATC to repeat. Otherwise you might not have the opportunity to find out later. Especially if you are approach.
    $endgroup$
    – copper.hat
    Sep 18 at 14:09






  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @Joshua same. I'm just a casual visitor but I couldn't understand a single word (native English speaker).
    $endgroup$
    – Tom W
    Sep 19 at 7:41














33













33









33


1



$begingroup$


I recorded this ATC audio clip during a recent flight.



I'm not sure but he may be saying,




6CP, cancel lining clearance......(missing)....traffic will be in position.




Can you complete this transcript? And I don't understand what "cancel lining clearance" is...










share|improve this question











$endgroup$




I recorded this ATC audio clip during a recent flight.



I'm not sure but he may be saying,




6CP, cancel lining clearance......(missing)....traffic will be in position.




Can you complete this transcript? And I don't understand what "cancel lining clearance" is...







air-traffic-control






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Sep 17 at 11:28









Community

1




1










asked Sep 16 at 5:06









gusdyd88gusdyd88

5932 silver badges7 bronze badges




5932 silver badges7 bronze badges










  • 16




    $begingroup$
    Nice question! I think this type of questions are really good to help people understand ATC instructions better in non-standard situations. Can you please keep the recording accessible for the public f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ / forever?
    $endgroup$
    – DeltaLima
    Sep 16 at 8:56







  • 11




    $begingroup$
    obligatory "Please hurry with an answer, I am running out of fuel" joke... ;-)
    $endgroup$
    – Michael
    Sep 17 at 17:38






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    Wow that's horrible. I couldn't make any of it out and I've been listening to ATC for some time.
    $endgroup$
    – Joshua
    Sep 18 at 3:31






  • 10




    $begingroup$
    You need to ask ATC to repeat. Otherwise you might not have the opportunity to find out later. Especially if you are approach.
    $endgroup$
    – copper.hat
    Sep 18 at 14:09






  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @Joshua same. I'm just a casual visitor but I couldn't understand a single word (native English speaker).
    $endgroup$
    – Tom W
    Sep 19 at 7:41













  • 16




    $begingroup$
    Nice question! I think this type of questions are really good to help people understand ATC instructions better in non-standard situations. Can you please keep the recording accessible for the public f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ / forever?
    $endgroup$
    – DeltaLima
    Sep 16 at 8:56







  • 11




    $begingroup$
    obligatory "Please hurry with an answer, I am running out of fuel" joke... ;-)
    $endgroup$
    – Michael
    Sep 17 at 17:38






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    Wow that's horrible. I couldn't make any of it out and I've been listening to ATC for some time.
    $endgroup$
    – Joshua
    Sep 18 at 3:31






  • 10




    $begingroup$
    You need to ask ATC to repeat. Otherwise you might not have the opportunity to find out later. Especially if you are approach.
    $endgroup$
    – copper.hat
    Sep 18 at 14:09






  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @Joshua same. I'm just a casual visitor but I couldn't understand a single word (native English speaker).
    $endgroup$
    – Tom W
    Sep 19 at 7:41








16




16




$begingroup$
Nice question! I think this type of questions are really good to help people understand ATC instructions better in non-standard situations. Can you please keep the recording accessible for the public f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ / forever?
$endgroup$
– DeltaLima
Sep 16 at 8:56





$begingroup$
Nice question! I think this type of questions are really good to help people understand ATC instructions better in non-standard situations. Can you please keep the recording accessible for the public f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ / forever?
$endgroup$
– DeltaLima
Sep 16 at 8:56





11




11




$begingroup$
obligatory "Please hurry with an answer, I am running out of fuel" joke... ;-)
$endgroup$
– Michael
Sep 17 at 17:38




$begingroup$
obligatory "Please hurry with an answer, I am running out of fuel" joke... ;-)
$endgroup$
– Michael
Sep 17 at 17:38




3




3




$begingroup$
Wow that's horrible. I couldn't make any of it out and I've been listening to ATC for some time.
$endgroup$
– Joshua
Sep 18 at 3:31




$begingroup$
Wow that's horrible. I couldn't make any of it out and I've been listening to ATC for some time.
$endgroup$
– Joshua
Sep 18 at 3:31




10




10




$begingroup$
You need to ask ATC to repeat. Otherwise you might not have the opportunity to find out later. Especially if you are approach.
$endgroup$
– copper.hat
Sep 18 at 14:09




$begingroup$
You need to ask ATC to repeat. Otherwise you might not have the opportunity to find out later. Especially if you are approach.
$endgroup$
– copper.hat
Sep 18 at 14:09




2




2




$begingroup$
@Joshua same. I'm just a casual visitor but I couldn't understand a single word (native English speaker).
$endgroup$
– Tom W
Sep 19 at 7:41





$begingroup$
@Joshua same. I'm just a casual visitor but I couldn't understand a single word (native English speaker).
$endgroup$
– Tom W
Sep 19 at 7:41











2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes


















66

















$begingroup$

I think this is what the controller is saying:




November Six Charlie Papa, cancel landing clearance. I'll have it back for you in a mile or so, traffic will be in position.




We can infer from this that the aircraft he's talking to (shortened callsign N6CP) has previously been cleared to land. But sometime since the controller decided to have another aircraft to line up and wait "in position" on the runway. The controller is now canceling that landing clearance, because he can't clear an aircraft to land while that aircraft is waiting for departure. And he's letting N6CP know that by the time they get 1 mile closer to the runway, he's anticipating that the waiting aircraft will get cleared for takeoff and N6CP will be cleared to land (again).






share|improve this answer










$endgroup$










  • 2




    $begingroup$
    Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
    $endgroup$
    – gusdyd88
    Sep 16 at 5:38






  • 94




    $begingroup$
    @gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
    $endgroup$
    – Pete Becker
    Sep 16 at 14:59







  • 4




    $begingroup$
    The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 14:55







  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
    $endgroup$
    – Jeff Y
    Sep 18 at 18:37










  • $begingroup$
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 19:46


















56

















$begingroup$

Anytime communication is addressed to you, you need to understand all of it.



Correct is to either



  • ask him to repeat, or

  • read back the part you understood, if you think the rest is unimportant.

Leaving a communications gap creates a hazard. Nobody minds repeating because they know how scary miscommunication is.



Imagine



"Roger, landing clearence canceled, did not copy the rest, 6CP"



"6 charley papa, turn right heading 220, expedite!"






share|improve this answer












$endgroup$














  • $begingroup$
    Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 12:13






  • 7




    $begingroup$
    @DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
    $endgroup$
    – Baldrickk
    Sep 17 at 14:19










  • $begingroup$
    @Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 14:53






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
    $endgroup$
    – geisterfurz007
    Sep 19 at 6:52






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
    $endgroup$
    – Harper - Reinstate Monica
    Sep 19 at 15:42













Your Answer








StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "528"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader:
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/"u003ecc by-sa 4.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
,
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);














draft saved

draft discarded
















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faviation.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f69745%2fwhat-did-the-controller-say-during-my-approach-to-land-audio-clip%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown


























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes









66

















$begingroup$

I think this is what the controller is saying:




November Six Charlie Papa, cancel landing clearance. I'll have it back for you in a mile or so, traffic will be in position.




We can infer from this that the aircraft he's talking to (shortened callsign N6CP) has previously been cleared to land. But sometime since the controller decided to have another aircraft to line up and wait "in position" on the runway. The controller is now canceling that landing clearance, because he can't clear an aircraft to land while that aircraft is waiting for departure. And he's letting N6CP know that by the time they get 1 mile closer to the runway, he's anticipating that the waiting aircraft will get cleared for takeoff and N6CP will be cleared to land (again).






share|improve this answer










$endgroup$










  • 2




    $begingroup$
    Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
    $endgroup$
    – gusdyd88
    Sep 16 at 5:38






  • 94




    $begingroup$
    @gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
    $endgroup$
    – Pete Becker
    Sep 16 at 14:59







  • 4




    $begingroup$
    The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 14:55







  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
    $endgroup$
    – Jeff Y
    Sep 18 at 18:37










  • $begingroup$
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 19:46















66

















$begingroup$

I think this is what the controller is saying:




November Six Charlie Papa, cancel landing clearance. I'll have it back for you in a mile or so, traffic will be in position.




We can infer from this that the aircraft he's talking to (shortened callsign N6CP) has previously been cleared to land. But sometime since the controller decided to have another aircraft to line up and wait "in position" on the runway. The controller is now canceling that landing clearance, because he can't clear an aircraft to land while that aircraft is waiting for departure. And he's letting N6CP know that by the time they get 1 mile closer to the runway, he's anticipating that the waiting aircraft will get cleared for takeoff and N6CP will be cleared to land (again).






share|improve this answer










$endgroup$










  • 2




    $begingroup$
    Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
    $endgroup$
    – gusdyd88
    Sep 16 at 5:38






  • 94




    $begingroup$
    @gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
    $endgroup$
    – Pete Becker
    Sep 16 at 14:59







  • 4




    $begingroup$
    The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 14:55







  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
    $endgroup$
    – Jeff Y
    Sep 18 at 18:37










  • $begingroup$
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 19:46













66















66











66







$begingroup$

I think this is what the controller is saying:




November Six Charlie Papa, cancel landing clearance. I'll have it back for you in a mile or so, traffic will be in position.




We can infer from this that the aircraft he's talking to (shortened callsign N6CP) has previously been cleared to land. But sometime since the controller decided to have another aircraft to line up and wait "in position" on the runway. The controller is now canceling that landing clearance, because he can't clear an aircraft to land while that aircraft is waiting for departure. And he's letting N6CP know that by the time they get 1 mile closer to the runway, he's anticipating that the waiting aircraft will get cleared for takeoff and N6CP will be cleared to land (again).






share|improve this answer










$endgroup$



I think this is what the controller is saying:




November Six Charlie Papa, cancel landing clearance. I'll have it back for you in a mile or so, traffic will be in position.




We can infer from this that the aircraft he's talking to (shortened callsign N6CP) has previously been cleared to land. But sometime since the controller decided to have another aircraft to line up and wait "in position" on the runway. The controller is now canceling that landing clearance, because he can't clear an aircraft to land while that aircraft is waiting for departure. And he's letting N6CP know that by the time they get 1 mile closer to the runway, he's anticipating that the waiting aircraft will get cleared for takeoff and N6CP will be cleared to land (again).







share|improve this answer













share|improve this answer




share|improve this answer










answered Sep 16 at 5:25









foootfooot

62.7k18 gold badges193 silver badges360 bronze badges




62.7k18 gold badges193 silver badges360 bronze badges










  • 2




    $begingroup$
    Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
    $endgroup$
    – gusdyd88
    Sep 16 at 5:38






  • 94




    $begingroup$
    @gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
    $endgroup$
    – Pete Becker
    Sep 16 at 14:59







  • 4




    $begingroup$
    The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 14:55







  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
    $endgroup$
    – Jeff Y
    Sep 18 at 18:37










  • $begingroup$
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 19:46












  • 2




    $begingroup$
    Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
    $endgroup$
    – gusdyd88
    Sep 16 at 5:38






  • 94




    $begingroup$
    @gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
    $endgroup$
    – Pete Becker
    Sep 16 at 14:59







  • 4




    $begingroup$
    The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 14:55







  • 2




    $begingroup$
    @CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
    $endgroup$
    – Jeff Y
    Sep 18 at 18:37










  • $begingroup$
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
    $endgroup$
    – CR Drost
    Sep 18 at 19:46







2




2




$begingroup$
Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
$endgroup$
– gusdyd88
Sep 16 at 5:38




$begingroup$
Thanks a lot! As you mentioned, I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land. I can understand now!
$endgroup$
– gusdyd88
Sep 16 at 5:38




94




94




$begingroup$
@gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
$endgroup$
– Pete Becker
Sep 16 at 14:59





$begingroup$
@gusdyd88 -- if those instructions were addressed to you, you should have asked ATC to repeat them.
$endgroup$
– Pete Becker
Sep 16 at 14:59





4




4




$begingroup$
The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
$endgroup$
– CR Drost
Sep 18 at 14:55





$begingroup$
The “in a mile or so” surprises me, not being a pilot myself. Is the plane moving slow, about the speed of my car down the highway? Or did he take a little under 5s to cancel a landing clearance only to plan on reinstating it in <30s? It seems like after gusdyd88 asked for clarification ATC would have just responded “I canceled your landing clearance but by now you are re-cleared to land.” Is ATC “just following the rules?” Or maybe “just in case that plane doesn’t move and has a sudden power loss where it stands I don’t want to have to more hastily cancel a landing later” or so?
$endgroup$
– CR Drost
Sep 18 at 14:55





2




2




$begingroup$
@CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
$endgroup$
– Jeff Y
Sep 18 at 18:37




$begingroup$
@CRDrost Yes, both, it's rules and practicality. It's probably a pretty severe violation to be "cleared" to land when there is a known obstruction (like another plane stopped) on the runway. Controller in BIG trouble if something happens. The subtext is also "a command to abort could happen, be ready" but also "continue your approach at your discretion".
$endgroup$
– Jeff Y
Sep 18 at 18:37












$begingroup$
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
$endgroup$
– CR Drost
Sep 18 at 19:46




$begingroup$
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
$endgroup$
– CR Drost
Sep 18 at 19:46













56

















$begingroup$

Anytime communication is addressed to you, you need to understand all of it.



Correct is to either



  • ask him to repeat, or

  • read back the part you understood, if you think the rest is unimportant.

Leaving a communications gap creates a hazard. Nobody minds repeating because they know how scary miscommunication is.



Imagine



"Roger, landing clearence canceled, did not copy the rest, 6CP"



"6 charley papa, turn right heading 220, expedite!"






share|improve this answer












$endgroup$














  • $begingroup$
    Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 12:13






  • 7




    $begingroup$
    @DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
    $endgroup$
    – Baldrickk
    Sep 17 at 14:19










  • $begingroup$
    @Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 14:53






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
    $endgroup$
    – geisterfurz007
    Sep 19 at 6:52






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
    $endgroup$
    – Harper - Reinstate Monica
    Sep 19 at 15:42
















56

















$begingroup$

Anytime communication is addressed to you, you need to understand all of it.



Correct is to either



  • ask him to repeat, or

  • read back the part you understood, if you think the rest is unimportant.

Leaving a communications gap creates a hazard. Nobody minds repeating because they know how scary miscommunication is.



Imagine



"Roger, landing clearence canceled, did not copy the rest, 6CP"



"6 charley papa, turn right heading 220, expedite!"






share|improve this answer












$endgroup$














  • $begingroup$
    Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 12:13






  • 7




    $begingroup$
    @DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
    $endgroup$
    – Baldrickk
    Sep 17 at 14:19










  • $begingroup$
    @Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 14:53






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
    $endgroup$
    – geisterfurz007
    Sep 19 at 6:52






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
    $endgroup$
    – Harper - Reinstate Monica
    Sep 19 at 15:42














56















56











56







$begingroup$

Anytime communication is addressed to you, you need to understand all of it.



Correct is to either



  • ask him to repeat, or

  • read back the part you understood, if you think the rest is unimportant.

Leaving a communications gap creates a hazard. Nobody minds repeating because they know how scary miscommunication is.



Imagine



"Roger, landing clearence canceled, did not copy the rest, 6CP"



"6 charley papa, turn right heading 220, expedite!"






share|improve this answer












$endgroup$



Anytime communication is addressed to you, you need to understand all of it.



Correct is to either



  • ask him to repeat, or

  • read back the part you understood, if you think the rest is unimportant.

Leaving a communications gap creates a hazard. Nobody minds repeating because they know how scary miscommunication is.



Imagine



"Roger, landing clearence canceled, did not copy the rest, 6CP"



"6 charley papa, turn right heading 220, expedite!"







share|improve this answer















share|improve this answer




share|improve this answer








edited Sep 16 at 21:27

























answered Sep 16 at 21:21









Harper - Reinstate MonicaHarper - Reinstate Monica

9,28617 silver badges45 bronze badges




9,28617 silver badges45 bronze badges














  • $begingroup$
    Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 12:13






  • 7




    $begingroup$
    @DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
    $endgroup$
    – Baldrickk
    Sep 17 at 14:19










  • $begingroup$
    @Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 14:53






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
    $endgroup$
    – geisterfurz007
    Sep 19 at 6:52






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
    $endgroup$
    – Harper - Reinstate Monica
    Sep 19 at 15:42

















  • $begingroup$
    Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 12:13






  • 7




    $begingroup$
    @DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
    $endgroup$
    – Baldrickk
    Sep 17 at 14:19










  • $begingroup$
    @Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
    $endgroup$
    – Dave Gremlin
    Sep 17 at 14:53






  • 3




    $begingroup$
    How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
    $endgroup$
    – geisterfurz007
    Sep 19 at 6:52






  • 1




    $begingroup$
    @geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
    $endgroup$
    – Harper - Reinstate Monica
    Sep 19 at 15:42
















$begingroup$
Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
$endgroup$
– Dave Gremlin
Sep 17 at 12:13




$begingroup$
Very true, but was the communication addressed to the OP or did they just hear it on the frequency? A canceled clearance requires a read back, and the questioner doesn't seem to have been in a position to do that.
$endgroup$
– Dave Gremlin
Sep 17 at 12:13




7




7




$begingroup$
@DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
$endgroup$
– Baldrickk
Sep 17 at 14:19




$begingroup$
@DaveGremlin From a comment that existed prior to this answer: " I had landing clearance and I've got the instruction from the ATC while I approaching to land." It seems like that is indeed the case, from the quote at least.
$endgroup$
– Baldrickk
Sep 17 at 14:19












$begingroup$
@Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
$endgroup$
– Dave Gremlin
Sep 17 at 14:53




$begingroup$
@Baldrickk - I stand corrected.
$endgroup$
– Dave Gremlin
Sep 17 at 14:53




3




3




$begingroup$
How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
$endgroup$
– geisterfurz007
Sep 19 at 6:52




$begingroup$
How does this answer the question? I am rather new on this site so I was curious if answers like this are permitted; I also didn't want to open a meta post just for it, so I ask here in comments. Because to me the question is "What did the controller say" and not "When I don't understand something in ATC that is addressed to me, what do I do?".
$endgroup$
– geisterfurz007
Sep 19 at 6:52




1




1




$begingroup$
@geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
$endgroup$
– Harper - Reinstate Monica
Sep 19 at 15:42





$begingroup$
@geisterfurz007 happens all the time where askers open with one thing, then in comments it emerges they are talking about something else entirely. Often questions are less about "what they literally asked" and more about "what they need to know". See also XY Problem, Frame Challenge, etc. Often we don't elaborately disclaim those, but some of us bristle at California Warning Label culture. Speaking of culture, the instant I read your comment I figured your main haunt is StackOverflow. People are very salty there. They're much nicer here.
$endgroup$
– Harper - Reinstate Monica
Sep 19 at 15:42



















draft saved

draft discarded















































Thanks for contributing an answer to Aviation Stack Exchange!


  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid


  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

  • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faviation.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f69745%2fwhat-did-the-controller-say-during-my-approach-to-land-audio-clip%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest















Required, but never shown





















































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown

































Required, but never shown














Required, but never shown












Required, but never shown







Required, but never shown









Popular posts from this blog

xrandr — how to find the correct RGB full spectrum output command for my systemHow to get second display to work alongside primary display?Unable to change the refresh rate to 60hz with xrandrUbuntu 16.04 external monitors black screen “Could not set the configuration for CRTC”Ubuntu 18.04 Monitor not recognizedXubuntu 18.04 does not detect external monitors connected via USB-C hubLaptop running Ubuntu 18.04 and Nvidia GPU does not detect HDMI display

Distance measures on a map of a game The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are Inmin distance in a graphShortest distance path on contour plotHow to plot a tilted map?Finding points outside of a diskDelaunay link distanceAnnulus from GeoDisks: drawing a ring on a mapNegative Correlation DistanceFind distance along a path (GPS coordinates)Finding position at given distance in a GeoPathMathematics behind distance estimation using camera

How to get a smooth, uniform ParametricPlot of a 2D Region?How to plot a complicated Region?How to exclude a region from ParametricPlotHow discretize a region placing vertices on a specific non-uniform gridHow to transform a Plot or a ParametricPlot into a RegionHow can I get a smooth plot of a bounded region?Smooth ParametricPlot3D with RegionFunction?Smooth border of a region ParametricPlotSmooth region boundarySmooth region plot from list of pointsGet minimum y of a certain x in a region